How to choose flooring for your home?
There are many different types of flooring, wood species and finishes. There are also different types of materials from traditional wood flooring, engineered, and laminates.
To help you decide, you should break it down into three areas of consideration: style, function, and cost. The type of room, in conjunction with the amount of traffic will determine to a large extent what type of flooring you will go with.
We are here to assist you on this matter, for more information, KITMO’s customer support team is available to take your calls and emails. Contact us
How to choose between laminate and wood flooring?
The choice between laminate flooring and real wood flooring can depend on a few different situations and the following may help in making your decision:
The cost of laminate flooring is significantly lower than hardwood flooring. However, if you don’t mind paying the extra, and prefer the character of real wood that develops with time, then a real wood floor is probably your best choice.
: Laminate floors are resistant to moisture and wear unlike real wood floors. So, if you desire a wood-look in your kitchen, laminate may be the perfect choice. Also extremely high traffic areas in your home could benefit from laminate flooring’s extra durability. In real wood floors, dents and dings are considered a natural part of the aging process and add character.
Laminate flooring and real wood flooring need a certain amount of extra care. Neither should be cleaned with abrasive cleaners, wax or soap detergents. Laminate flooring does not need sanding or resurfacing, but unlike hardwood, damaged sections are not as easy to repair.
- Feel: Hardwood is the ‘real deal’. It is gorgeous to look at and depending on the variety, it can add considerable value to your home.
What type of wood do you use for hardwood floors?
Depending on the species, we get our wood floors from different places. Our oak is either French or Russian, Walnut is American and Maple is Canadian for example. All our colors are designed in our workshop though. We provide a 100% guarantee on our entire products.
What is the difference between engineered and solid wood flooring?
Each type of real wood floor or hardwood floor has its specific use and choosing one over the other is dictated by your lifestyle and needs.
- Engineered wood flooring is made up of multiple layers of wood put together. The top layer is made of real wood and the middle and bottom boards are usually particle boards, MDF, HDF or plywood.
- Solid wood flooring is milled from a tree; it’s made out of one single, solid piece of wood.
If you are looking for a real authentic wood, go for solid wood floors. If you would like your floor to look seamless or the same as the first day it got installed, choose engineered wood.
The choice is personal and really depends on your lifestyle and personality. For more technical details read our flooring catalog.
What are the benefits of hardwood floors?
Real wood floors come with various benefits:
- Variety: You’ll find a wide variety of appearances to match your personality, style, and home. From light to dark, our full line of products offer species that will match your tastes. Check our wood flooring collection.
- Hypoallergenic: Hardwood floors trap fewer allergens including dust, pollen, and dust mites than alternative flooring types. It is known to improve air quality.
- Easy to maintain and clean: To keep them in good shape and looking new, normal care such as sweeping or vacuuming with a soft broom or vacuum is generally all that is required.
- Durability: Maintained properly, wood flooring should never have to be replaced.
- Ageless quality: Lastly, they improve with age and add a beautiful, elegant, natural element to any home.
How does wood flooring age with time?
With proper care and maintenance, your flooring should last as long as you own your home and will age beautifully. An old floor is a priceless possession.
How to clean and maintain hardwood floors?
Wooden floors require low maintenance in general, however we advise to protect it from moisture. We offer a range of maintenance products specifically for wood flooring that can be purchased from the showroom. Most importantly, use a soft broom to remove abrasive particles of dirt before using the cleansing product.
What should I do if water spills on my hardwood floor?
Wipe up spills immediately with a soft, dry cloth, starting at the edges of the spill and working your way toward the center. Don’t let water stand on your floor.
Can engineered hardwood be sanded and refinished?
Every 15 – 30 years on average, consumers have their hardwood floors completely sanded and refinished new again.
Engineered wood flooring can either be light hand sanded and recoated, or it can also be professionally machine sanded to clear the old finish and scratches off, then refinished new again. At KITMO, most of our high end engineered wood floors are never sanded.
Is wood flooring suitable for underfloor heating?
Wood flooring can be installed over underfloor heating. For more details, contact us.
Can you put a wooden floor in a bathroom or in a wet area?
We can install wood flooring next to a Jacuzzi or in a wet area but the bevels should be sealed with a special black rubber that we use.
How to choose skirting board height and color?
Matching skirting often completes the look. Skirting boards are used around the perimeter of rooms. All of our skirting is manufactured from solid prime grade wood and can be customized. Our average skirting heights are 8 cm but we also produce them in different heights if requested.
How to prepare for new flooring installation?
We always do a site inspection before kicking off any project. What you need to keep in mind is the following:
- Make sure the subfloor moisture is tested.
- Make sure the subfloor is levelled and not glossy (without a mirror looking effect). Concrete, ceramic and mosaic works for example.
Can I install flooring over subfloors with different thicknesses?
There are a few solutions in case your subfloors have different thicknesses. The most common one we use is thickening the lower area with plywood to get the whole gap levelled.
What should i do if a floor plank is damaged? Do I have to replace the whole floor?
If the surrounding area is intact, the plank could be replaced or fixed.
What are the benefits of laminate flooring?
Laminate flooring is an imitation of real wood. The pattern visible on the floor is literally a printed photo of real wood, bonded to the clear surface with an aluminum oxide finish.
The main benefits of laminate flooring are:
The cost of laminate flooring is significantly lower than hardwood flooring.
: Laminate floors are resistant to moisture and wear unlike real wood floors. So, if you desire a wood-look in your kitchen, laminate may be the perfect choice. Also extremely high traffic areas in your home could benefit from laminate flooring’s extra durability.
Laminate flooring does not need sanding or resurfacing.
Is laminate flooring suitable for underfloor heating?
Laminate flooring can be installed over underfloor heating. For more details, contact us.
How to clean and maintain laminate floors?
Laminate floors require low maintenance in general, however we advise to protect it from moisture. We offer a range of maintenance products specifically for laminate flooring that can be purchased from the showroom. Most importantly, use a soft broom to remove abrasive particles of dirt before using the cleansing product.
How to clean and maintain a wood deck?
After sunshine, snow, rain and cloud, the oil will volatilize. To regain the original decking color, the process is very easy and can be done as following:
- Cleaning the deck: Start by washing the deck with deck brightener or soap and water. Let it dry completely.
- Applying a new oil coat: Apply a coat of sealant when there is no direct sunlight and when your deck is dry and cool. Roll the oil on the deck (we recommend the client to use a fine knap long handled paint roller). Once you finish the first application, we recommend you go over the whole deck with a clean towel wrapped around a shop broom. It’s not necessary to wipe the deck dry, but it helps to spread the sealant evenly and sop up the excess.
We offer eco-friendly decking oil that can be purchased from the showroom. If you like the natural beauty of the deck, you can keep it as it is without re-oiling it. The exposure to the sun will soon cause the wood color to fade.
How to pressure wash underneath a wood deck?
When trying to clean under the deck, you’ll have to work through the deck, with a pressure washer or pressured water, you’ll be able to utilize those small gaps to reach the dirt and build up that lie underneath. Unsightly dirt and grime between and below deck boards won’t stand a chance when you put this technique to work. After pressure washing your deck, you can finish it with a fresh coat of stain or water protection. It’s the perfect time to freshen the whole thing.
How to start designing a kitchen with KITMO?
- Pick a mood: Whether you’re into natural/light kind of approach or more into the dark and warm kind of things, and whether you’re into wood, marble, steel or concrete, we’ve got you covered. We have 5 base models to choose of: The Lifestyle, The Vogue, The Urban, The Glam & The Wabu. Check our kitchen designs here.
- Provide a budget: Having a budget helps us work around requirements and material.
- Provide specs & dimensions: To provide you with a mood board and quotation, we will need the specs and dimensions of your kitchen space and appliances. We would also need the sizes of any placement or feature that hinders the kitchen design (such as windows, doors, ceiling heights) to take them into consideration.
Do you offer a free kitchen design service?
The initial kitchen design service is free and complementary. It includes a layout option and a mood board.
Should I take an appointment to discuss my kitchen design?
We recommended you book an appointment for your first visit to make sure we allocate one of our kitchen designers to assist you. Contact us here. However, if it’s a follow-up, it is not necessary to book an appointment.
Is it possible to fully customize a KITMO Kitchen?
To a certain extent, everything is customizable. From the door handles, worktops, cabinets, cupboards, sinks & appliances and furniture. Usually bespoke projects have a higher cost and longer delivery time, with a more personalized outcome.
Can you modify or update an existing kitchen?
We can definitely do add-ons such as cabinets and shelving units, or replace existing cabinet doors. In other words, we add a modern twist to upgrade it.
Where do you design and manufacture your kitchens?
Our kitchens are all designed in-house and manufactured in our workshop in Lebanon. You can visit the workshop at the same location as our showroom.
What kitchen cabinet hinges do you use?
All our runners and hinges used for our kitchens are from BLUM USA.
How to choose countertop materials and color?
We have a wide variety of countertops made from concrete, marble or wood. Available in different colors and finishes. Our kitchen designers are here to assist you on the matter. Find out more about our kitchen designs here.
Do you provide kitchen appliances?
Choose your appliances carefully, be selective and spend your money on quality. We can supply appliances from our all-time trusted partners and suppliers, who we’ve worked with for +10 years. These can be delivered by us alongside your kitchen, easy and much less stressful than having to sort everything yourself.
If you’ve already got appliances, we’ll be happy to incorporate those into your kitchen design. Why fix something if it isn’t broken?
On average, how much does a KITMO kitchen cost?
We can work with any budget. The average price for a kitchen is $10,000 (more or less), it all goes down to the material, size and model.
What’s the delivery time for a kitchen?
It takes 6 weeks to deliver a standard KITMO kitchen. For bespoke kitchens, it can go up to 12 weeks.
Do you ship internationally?
Yes! We ship to most countries. Please email us at [email protected] to ask about the shipping time and cost.
How to start designing a closet with KITMO?
Our closet designs all start with a function and a mood:
- Pick a function: Pick between a built-in closet or open-dressing, a sliding or bi-fold door.
- Pick a mood: Whether you’re into natural/light kind of approach or more into the dark and warm kind of things, and whether you’re into wood, marble, steel or concrete, we’ve got you covered. We have 3 base models to choose of: The Lifestyle, The Vogue and The Urban. Check our coset designs here.
- Provide a budget: Having a budget helps us work around requirements and material for your closet.
- Provide specs & dimensions: To provide you with a mood board and quotation, we will need the specs and dimensions of your closet space.
Where can I see your closet designs?
Our closet models are available for viewing at our showroom as well as online here. We always recommend you to visit the showroom to get a closer look and feel, along with a free consultation from our closet designers.
Do you offer a free closet design service?
The initial closet design service is free and complementary. It includes a layout option and a mood board.
Should I take an appointment to discuss my closet design?
We recommended you book an appointment for your first visit to make sure we allocate one of our designers to assist you. However, if it’s a follow-up, it is not necessary to book an appointment. Just contact us for any questions!
Are the closets designed with ready-made compartments?
Our closets are designed in-house by our designers to store every item you own. They include tie-drawers, shoe storage, handbags and other accessories compartments. They’re also fully customizable to your needs.
Can you modify or update an existing closet?
We can definitely do add-ons such as storage cabinets, or replace existing closet doors. In other words, we add a modern twist to upgrade it.
Where do you design and manufacture your closets?
Our closets are all designed in-house and manufactured in our workshop in Lebanon. You can visit the workshop at the same location as our showroom.
What closet door hinges do you use?
All our runners and hinges used for our closets are from BLUM USA.
On average, how much does a KITMO closet cost?
We can work with any budget. The average price for a closet is $1,000 (more or less), it all goes down to your choice of material, size and model.
What’s the delivery time for a closet?
It takes up to 6 weeks to deliver a standard KITMO closet.
Is the furniture design made by KITMO?
Straight from our workshop, we design furniture that are effortlessly simple and contemporary. You can check our collection here.
Is the furniture design bespoke or standard?
We offer both. You can find our standard furniture design here. We also customize furniture pieces, contact us to learn more.
What’s the delivery time for a piece of furniture?
It takes up to 6 weeks to deliver a piece of furniture by KITMO.
On average, how much does KITMO’s furniture cost?
You can find our furniture collection with prices and specs one.